SUBJECT :- STRATEGIC MANAGEMENT
CHAPTER :- STRATEGIC ANALYSIS AND PLANNING.
TOPIC :- BLUE OCEAN STRATEGY
▪ The concept of Blue Ocean Strategy was first coined by W. Chan Kim & Renee Mauborgne in their book,
Blue Ocean Strategy: How to Create Uncontested Market Space & Make the Competition Irrelevant, published in
▪ According to them, Blue oceans denote all the industries which are currently not existence & remain
unexplored, unknown & untainted by competition.
▪ In blue oceans, demand is created rather than fought over. There is ample opportunity for growth that is both
profitable & rapid.
▪ In blue oceans, competition is irrelevant as the landscape is new & unexplored. Blue ocean has been used here
as an analogy to describe the wider, deeper potential of market space that is not yet explored.
▪ A blue ocean strategy is focused more on the new trends & demands of the consumers in creating a new market
based on it.
▪ Blue oceans are a more unoccupied market & not much known. The blue ocean market is mostly concentrated
on providing value & is created based on that.
▪ In the blue ocean strategy, a new product or service is created which is not available in the market which would
solve a problem that is already there in the market.
▪ The blue ocean market pays a lot of attention to value & innovation aspects. This is what the authors call the